View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Default Chapter 2: The Origin of Wedar

Wedar was an Iksar, trained in the ways of the monk under the tutelage of Grandmaster Glox. He, however, was not born on the shores of Kunark, but rather hatched in the depths of the Underdark in Odus. Wedar’s father, Kirn, was a powerful Knight of the High Scale who forged a strong alliance with the Heretics of Paineel. Kirn had many wives, but Wedar’s mother was his favorite, so they always had free reign over the tower in which they resided.

Wedar woke one night to dreadful cries and shouts of pure terror, he slowly walked to the window. To his horror, he saw an army of elementals, imps, and muddites ravaging his town. It seemed surreal… was he dreaming? Then his mother burst through the door, “WEDAR! Come! We must go at once, leave your things!!”. His mother took him by the hand and lead him through the halls of the tower, as they ran the shadow knights and necromancers that worshipped alongside them were attempting to fend off the impending army. It was of little use.

Everywhere he looked he saw carnage… the Imps feasted on the intestines of those they disemboweled, faceless beings of rock tore away limbs, and giant golems smashed through armor and bone. They reached the top of the tower and her mother bolted the door.

She dragged him to the back of the room to her alchemy lab. “Momma, what’s happening?” Wedar said with teary eyes. “It’s OK Wedar, everything is going to be fine, just watch me, don’t look at the door… hand me that Sandalwood root, quickly!” He did as she said, as she crushed the herbs and blended them carefully together, then he saw the door bulge. The demon army had reached them. “Momma..?” The door bulged again with a resounding thud, one more hit and it would be off its hinges.

Wedar’s mother spun him around and poured a vile liquid into his mouth, “Drink it! Drink all of it, HURRY!”. He swallowed it and immediately began to feel ill, he looked up and saw the door burst open and the faceless beings pour through. He noticed his hands begin to glow, his mother quickly said, “Go to Cabilis, find Grandmaster Glox, he will..!” but the elemental had grabbed her by the tail and pulled her into the frenzied pack, ripping her to pieces before him.

“MOMMA!!!!!” he wailed. One of the elementals left the feeding frenzy and floated over towards Wedar. He did not cry, but his eyes narrowed into a stare of pure rage and hatred. The being outstretched his hand and would have crushed Wedar’s skull in an instant, but he magically dematerialized and was gone.

Flashes of light passed before his eyes as he transcended the planes of existence, he finally rematerialized amidst a dry field, filled with the bones of an ancient dragon. The blood of his mother splattered across his body, he squeezed his fists together and swore an oath of revenge. He looked to the horizon and recognized the banner of Cabilis. He wiped his tears and made his way towards the great city of his kin, in search of Glox.

It wasn’t long before he reached the gates, normally the guards would stop even their own kin and question their business in the capital, but the look in his eyes told everyone his purpose: Vengeance. He came to the House of Pain and saw the great Iksar Master meditating before him. Wedar was about to speak when the powerful monk opened his eyes and observed the broken child before him.

“So my child, you have come to me seeking knowledge… to learn the ways of our ancient masters to one day crush all the enemies that have wronged you.” Glox paced around Wedar, his silence indicating the truth of his words. “The soft skins of Quellious will tell you to cast aside your rage, forgive your enemies, and seek the enlightenment of tranquility.” He hissed and spat on the ground. “I will teach you no such thing, but rather to channel your anger and instill the fear of Cazic himself into your foe! To make them cower before your fists as if they were kneeling before their demon overlord! The skill you need is mine to give…” He reached into his pouch and pulled out a dusty shackle engraved with the sigil of the House of Pain. “…you merely need to ask.”

With that Wedar knelt before Glox, held out his arm, and spoke a single word, “Master.”

Glox slapped the shackle on his arm, and with that, Wedar’s training had begun.