View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polixa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can I respectfully interject and disagree entirely?

I have had a love affair with EQ/P99 for 20 years and inter-guild competition is the least fun part of the game.

The problem you would like to fix, IMO, is that there are too many end game players trying to consume too little end game content.

We need more game.

The sensible answer to me, is instancing raid content, increasing spawn rates of long timer raid mobs, and increasing frequency of quest-related mob triggers (Chardok 2 goblin, WW Scout, Coldain rings).
I also disagree with guild competition being fun as well, but only because it's not quite competition. A competition implies a lot of things that EQ raids don't have. This is more like a bunch of greedy animals in a Walmart trampling each other on a black Friday sale. There's no real competition. We all know the state of it, there's no need to go into it, but not many people actually find this fun. They just do it for the pixels.

On the opposite end of things instancing content or increasing spawnrates to the point where things aren't rare eliminates the point of this content as well. This works in a themepark like WoW because no one playing those games regularly has even a single brain cell. They farm that gear which is then totally useless for anything other than doing the same raid again. In EQ you can use that gear for other things, so flooding the server with it has a hugely negative impact, moreso than me not having a raid drop. Of course item inflation isn't such an issue on blue because everyone is geared AF, and if there's ever a new server neckbeards will dominate things like snowfeather to the point where normal players will never ever have a chance of getting it.. but..

The problem ultimately isn't that we need more game, or even that there's too many players. It's just that EQ was great when no one knew anything and learning stuff off the internet was barely even a concept. Now everyone knows everything, and the people who find nothing else fun but playing EQ every waking moment of their life will do what they do. That's just the way it is. Much like the anti-green haters, we must all learn to accept the neckbeards, for they were once people too, and we may become like them in the future.