View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 03:44 PM
Large Bat

Default ResetDevice() failed!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This issue has plagued people across many games for many years (I've seen posts as early as 2005).

Specifically in EverQuest p99 (Titanium client), this error usually means there was a problem with querying your display adapter and the reason for the query by the game is, for whatever reason, it has detected a change to/from windowed or full screen mode.

There's a variety of things that I've noticed cause EQ to want to switch between windowed/full screen mode.. generally, it's always a consequence of another application that's actively running and taking advantage of hardware acceleration (i.e. using your gpu).

many productivity apps (by default) have hardware acceleration turned on.. including windows desktop manager (i.e. alt-tabbing, minimizing windows, 3d generated thumbnails with windows peek, etc), google chrome (by default chrome continues to run in the background, even when you close it), discord, fan/lights/motherboard/gpu/peripherals like keyboard/mouse software (razer synapse, eVGA Precision, Corsair iCUE, ASUS Armory Crate, Steam, Battle.net, Zoom, the list goes on...)

Here's the steps I took to fix the issue:

https://i.imgur.com/VGFbA2Y.png

If this works for you, please report back in a few days if you don't experience errors any more. The best place to test is on Skyfire ramp area as you are running to/from Skyfire zoneline in The Overthere.

Another great place to test is in The Hole, especially in The Slabs area.

Usually strafing and turning your camera (holding right click and dragging it around to see around you) will trigger the error to occur.

I've even had it so bad that certain areas I crash and I log back in 6x+ in a row and I immediately get the error.. the fact that it's repeatable in specific locations at different times tells me once certain conditions are met, that it's definitely not random and it's certainly possible to reproducie it and even diagnose and resolve it entirely.

Let's use this thread to try and fix this problem once and for all!

P.S. here's my graphics card: https://www.evga.com/products/produc...10G-P5-3897-KR
Last edited by andrewbshifflett; 05-22-2021 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: added image of error occurring