View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Oh, last thing. I've started to see a few other people online. I tried talking with a few, but I couldn't understand them and I don't think they could understand me. Turns out my language was set to Elvish (I am a dwarf). Is there a way to change the default language? If not, you might need to let people know to check which language they are talking in.
I thought I had confirmed the default language was first in this list but I guess not. I gave different races a few starting points in enemy languages. Everyone gets Elvish/Dwarvish 100 for their team but then I threw in some other stuff so that hopefully skill ups would occur without training. The "common tongue" is always Dwarvish or Elvish for a team but this other stuff still exists with some arbitrary levels for each race to add flavor.

I agree this could use better messaging if the defaults aren't working. I just made a Dwarf Monk and he defaulted to Dark Speech. I'll see what I can do. I could just remove the enemy languages and set each team to know all the racial languages of their team but that is kind of lame.

Quote:
case DARK_ELF:
{
pp->languages[LANG_ELVISH] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_DARK_SPEECH] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_ELDER_ELVISH] = 50;
pp->languages[LANG_DARK_ELVISH] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_DWARVISH] = 15;
pp->languages[LANG_GNOMISH] = 5;
pp->languages[LANG_HALFLING] = 5;
break;
}
case DWARF:
{
pp->languages[LANG_DWARVISH] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_GNOMISH] = 50;
pp->languages[LANG_HALFLING] = 50;
pp->languages[LANG_ELVISH] = 5;
pp->languages[LANG_ELDER_ELVISH] = 5;
pp->languages[LANG_DARK_ELVISH] = 15;
break;
}
case GNOME:
{
pp->languages[LANG_GNOMISH] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_HALFLING] = 50;
pp->languages[LANG_ELVISH] = 5;
pp->languages[LANG_ELDER_ELVISH] = 15;
pp->languages[LANG_DARK_ELVISH] = 5;
break;
}
case HALF_ELF:
{
pp->languages[LANG_DARK_ELVISH] = 50;
pp->languages[LANG_DWARVISH] = 15;
break;
}
case HALFLING:
{
pp->languages[LANG_HALFLING] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_GNOMISH] = 50;
pp->languages[LANG_ELVISH] = 15;
pp->languages[LANG_ELDER_ELVISH] = 5;
pp->languages[LANG_DARK_ELVISH] = 5;
break;
}
case HIGH_ELF:
{
pp->languages[LANG_ELDER_ELVISH] = 100;
pp->languages[LANG_DWARVISH] = 5;
pp->languages[LANG_GNOMISH] = 15;
break;
}
case WOOD_ELF:
{
pp->languages[LANG_HALFLING] = 15;
pp->languages[LANG_DWARVISH] = 5;
break;
}
The Monk kick thing I just tested starting as a Dwarf Cleric. You get small patchwork boots but once you change to a Monk these aren't actually usable anymore. If you remove the boots kick starts working and you can't put them back on. I'll have to adjust gear when changing to monk probably for both hands/feet to avoid the weirdness in those attack calculations which consider what you're wearing there if you are a monk. Also sadly the monk attack animations for things like flying kick don't work on the short races. This also raises questions about itemization for custom race Monks. Small patchwork won't allow monks but normal size does. Probably need to add Monk to small armor, checking Wus for example it only allows Human/Iksar. Same for shiverback hide stuff. So yeah need a monk equipment adjustment to include elves/dwarves. Same for Bard/Shaman gear. Thanks.
Last edited by azxten; 11-28-2022 at 03:51 PM..