Thread: Game Mechanics: Ladder Geometry and Sneak
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Sarnak

Default Ladder Geometry and Sneak

Spent an hour testing (read: I was stuck) this in LGuk on my rogue. I'll try to be as concise as I can here.

I fell in the pit trap in LGuk by the arch magus room. Oops. No biggie, I had hide/sneak up, just climb the ladder back up and pay attention next time, right? Wrong.

When I climbed to the top of the ladder, I couldn't climb high enough to get to the ledge under my feet. From the first person view, looking at the ceiling, I was "bouncing" towards the ceiling and running into the ladder, but I couldn't clear the top of it.

/rewind did not work, as this placed me at the bottom of the pit again. I really wasn't stuck in the sense that I couldn't move (like what you'd usually use /rewind for) but more that I couldn't climb the ladder high enough.

At the time, I had Illusion: Dark Elf up, so I thought by clicking that spell off, that using my Halfling model might get me out. Negative.

I tried ducking, nope. I tried jumping from the top, I was unable to jump from the ladder.

I didn't want to take Sneak off at the time, because I would have gotten aggro and died from the wandering frogs. Later, I went back down on my cleric (also a dark elf, if that matters) and was able to climb out with no problems using IVU and running at normal speed. I tried walking up the ladder, and I kind of bounced a little then eventually cleared the top.

The issue appears to happen when movement speed falls below a certain point. Ladders should be climbable while using Sneak without needing runspeed buffs.

I'd be happy to help test this or demonstrate what I'm talking about if I've been unclear. Thanks for your time.