View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude has been jousting Republican evil since before we were born, and there are endless soundbites of him championing 2010-2020 economic progressivism back in the 1990's.

I mean, in 2015 you were also gung ho for Trump
so why did he amass a movement and then quietly shuffle it into the 2020 Democratic party? I don't know the circumstances of every day of his life, but to me it looks like this:

He took up oppositional politics in a small and quirky state and his career went fine. So fine that in time he almost became the president. But when the time came to hit the nuclear option, he chose his career and life (the last 10 years of it) over his policy goals. And supplicated very firmly for Joe Biden, well beyond what was called for or necessary to elect Trump, using the exhausted "Trump bad" as justification for throwing away all strategy and policy ambition beyond neoliberal party hijinks. Now he's dead silent, having missed a thousand opportunities to have used his leverage just like "the squad".

Warren showed herself a phony too when she stayed in to sabotage the winning candidate who shared many of her policy goals. Who cares for how long she had been native war chanting those policy goals? As soon as it actually mattered, she flaked to play for the team.

We call these types sheepdogs, controlled opposition, etc., although these imply intent. Some people are merely weak people who flip for convenience. They thereby wreck their legacy, that legacy you refer to with blinders on to the present. These are in fact less virtuous than confused and angry young boys who get taken for a political ride and improve themselves dramatically in just 4 years with much humility, admitting fault. One is slippery, the other is character. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I give him credit for shifting the narrative, but I subtract many points for going quietly into the margins. There's just no excuse. If he did it all because it was his life to advance progressive policy, he would have been willing to go nuclear. I guess he decided he'd done enough...and you agree.

I know there's a drought of heroes in the American public space, but don't let your standards too low. We need better than Bernie.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 01-23-2021 at 06:23 PM..