View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Found your problem!

The amount of irrational hate I have for Nvidia is dwarfed by the amount of rational hate I have for Nvidia.

I have seen multiple entire OS upgrades (jumping between Ubuntu versions) tanked by Nvidia drivers. Oh, and these were all people who call me for support, not in front of me. Ever walked someone through a reinstall over the phone? People used to get PAID to do that...so I just love doing it for free for a reason that the user didn't do (if it were their fault I'd consider taking their money).

Even Intel on-board is better than nvidia hardware in terms of "supported out of the box" to the point where if those are my only two options I will take the on-board and be happy.
Heh, I actually paid extra to get a laptop with a custom card added on top of the built-in Intel graphics. I know EQ is an old game, but I run two large monitors, and between that and the game's (limited/old, but still not-completely-trivial) hardware requirements, I'm glad I did.

If you think you hate Nvidia, I hate ATI probably about as much. I once had ATI tech support tell me that the only way I could use my $100 TV Tuner card from them was to reinstall the drivers for it (and this required a restart)... every single time I wanted to use it! I couldn't even believe that the support agent could say that to me with a straight face!

Also, I used to work with both them and Nvidia when I was at SGI, and Nvidia always had their shit together while ATI was always a mess. And then on top of that my cousin used to work for them, and internally they're just as bad as they seem externally.

I guess you just can't win when it comes to graphics providers.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.