View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanidor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So who has tried out the MMO called Mortal Online recently? I had been looking for an MMO that wasn't just another WoW clone and finally came across this. After playing the free-to-play version yesterday, I gotta say it's pretty amazing.

MorOn (Mortal Online [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ) not only has great graphics but also has what most MMO's are "missing", the ability to NOT hold your hand through everything. You basically start out in the middle of nowhere with little to no tips and you can go out and explore or do whatever floats your boat. It really does feel like EQ Classic all over again.

The game feels really immersive since you can only be in first person view; I love this since it makes the game feel more real. When you make your character, you can choose a certain race or mix together different racial ancestors to get different stats and bonuses. There are also no levels in the game, only skills that you work on to become stronger.

There are so many different skills to choose from. It's kinda nice how you are limited on how many skill points you can use. Because of that limit, it keeps the player base diversified on which ones they choose to master except for the min-maxers that always seem to crop up in every game lately.

Anyways, for those who haven't tried it out yet, you should! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] And for those who have, what did you personally think of it?

-Warning- When you first make a character, be careful when trying to learn how to swim, its reaaaally easy to drown. *cough*

Oh yea, supposedly the game can be kinda picky and crash if you don't have a decent computer. Also, make sure your Regional and Language options are set to english and not something like japanese, whoops. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I bought my computer about 5 to 6 years ago for around 1k and it runs great on middle settings, so if you have something newer you should be okay.
I'm playing Wurm Online and it also has some things in common with what you say here. It has been available to players since 2006. It recently reached version 1.0, but it's still Wurm Online.

I heartily endorse Wurm Online and since it seems so similar I'll explain some more.

Here're some characteristics/features of Wurm Online:
1. No in-game map
2. Skill-based; no levels; LOTS of skills (130+)
3. Corpse runs - you can reduce these later on by gaining something (don't recall)
4. No in-game radar or mini-map
5. First-person; there's no 3rd person available
6. Build pretty much anything anywhere (except on deeds); sandbox
7. Character creation is very simple; no stat/skill allocations
8. No limit on how many skills you can learn; just takes a LONG LONG time
9. When you die, you pick from a selection of places to respawn or even your own deed
10. Trees/animals age and have different attributes and can be killed and relocated
11. You can terraform the landscape and build tunnels for mines and even put a house underground

Generally, Wurm Online doesn't try to protect you from yourself. It won't stop you from making grave mistakes. It's not a game on rails. It's this reason among others that I like it so much.

So many things I can mention. I'd say that Mortal Online and The Repopulation and Xyson and Haven and Hearth and similar games are in a league of their own. Although they're each a slightly different take on the sandbox sub-genre, they definitely share common bonds. But they're NOT mainstream games by any measure.

I've never been more immersed in a game than in Wurm Online. What's so sad to me is that some people view what I enjoy as outdated gameplay mechanics. People are so arrogant that they'd destroy what I enjoy just because they think it shouldn't exist. This is what gets me more angry than anything else. I've found a game I love and I'm don't doubt for a second that there're millions of people that would love to destroy it.

I think we'll see more sandbox games in the coming years that'll become more mainstream. It'll be just like WoW. They'll be easy and much less dangerous with lots of hand holding so you don't mess up. These dumbsh*** will come out and say they're superior to other sandbox games. Just repeat of the past 10 years.

I wish we could all just accept that we're all different. No game is superior to another game. There're niche games. They all deserve to exist. We just need to stop asserting ourselves on others.

I like hardcore features that don't try to protect me. I like complexity. I love details. I love being thrust out into a dangerous confusing world with only my perseverance and a couple basic tools and my wit to forge my destiny and clear a path to glory and intrigue. I don't think what I want is superior and the only way to play games. I just want the freedom to have what I want and not have others forcing what they like down my throat. I've been through that. It's why I've quit playign mainstream games. So anyway.

Find out more here:
http://www.wurmonline.com/

It's a relatively quick download. The whole game after installation and patching is only 1GB. They've recently added some new models. The game with higher settings looks great. I'm on a 2.3Ghz AMD 4400+ with 3gb Ram and GeForce 9800. My system is not a new system but yet I can still run Wurm Online with fair to good settings at 20+ fps in the populated areas. The heavily populatd areas are lower. Forests are 60+.

I play on Chaos (formerly Wild) because its map is more natural. But for most PvPers I'd recommend you go to the Epic servers because those have double the skill-gain rate and are less moderated with much higher amounts of PvP and raiding. For those who don't like PvP there're half a dozen non-pvp servers.

Also... I'm playing near Gold Coast. This game is LONG-TERM. You'll play it for years. However, I do expect the game to be watered down for different reasons. But by that time I'll probably find another game.

Lastly this game is only $12-14 for 2 months premium. You even get 2 silver for your first premium-time. I paid about $13.20 for 2 months just recently. I've had premium twice so far and haven't needed to buy any silver. This game does NOT require a lot of money to play. It's NOT a cash-shop type of game YET. You can even play it for free but your skills are capped at 20. I'd recommend getting a couple to 20 then buying premium.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 03-15-2013 at 06:00 PM..