Thread: EQ Newbie here!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Skeleton

Default EQ Newbie here!

Afternoon everyone,

I've only ever really played WoW and gotten fed up with the direction Retail WoW is going, and I'm getting a bit bored with Classic WoW. I've always wondered what EQ was like since I had always heard about it but I never was able to play it back in the early 2000s.

I've been watching a ton of videos on Youtube about P99 to get an idea of what it's like, and I guess my first question is should I pick Blue or Green? Green as I understand it was a brand new server and is closer to the original 1999-era version while Blue is an expansion or two in and Green I guess has adjustments to make it closer to what originally was (I'm familiar with that from Classic WoW and having some features disabled because it didn't exist in Classic)? Would Green be a better starting point since it's newer?

The next question is something I'm sure that gets asked a ton, what class would be good to start out brand new with? I've played Warlock, Mage and Death Knight in WoW mostly. I've read a guide linked from the P99 Wiki called something like EQ for WoW Refugees to get an idea of things and it mentioned to melee classes. I'd like something that can solo decently if necessary since my time will be limited to maybe a few hours a week and I may not always be able to find a group depending on when I can log on.

The EQ Necromancer seems to be the ancestor of the WoW Warlock from what I've read (DoTs, Fear, a Siphon health ability) but running an evil character sounds like a bad idea since in EQ you can be killed by NPCs for being evil if you aren't careful? So like I would not be able to go into certain cities or the guards would know I'm a Necromancer and attack me?

I've seen it mentioned a lot that druid Druid is a good beginner class but I've also read that they are not really desired in groups because they don't do anything really well. I haven't read too much on Magician but it seems like somewhere in between a WoW Mage and a Hunter in that you do damage but have a pet that can tank for you?

I think it might be between Necromancer, Druid or Mage. Any suggestions? I'm eager to give it a shot and see one of the precursors to WoW and the former "king" of the MMORPG genre.