Thread: Miscellaneous: Spirit Wracked Cords - Dropping?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I can never get Magelo wayback to work, but Spirit Wracked Cord wasn't added to the Magelo database until 12 days after Luclin
https://eq.magelo.com/item/5723
Oddly enough, Spirit Wracked Cords entered the Magelo Database 2 months prior to Spirit Wracked Urn did. So, if you're going off Magelo entry dates, you'd come to the conclusion that the drop cords predates the quested cords. Of course, the Undead Dragon Sinew predates both. Perhaps you could make the argument that the quest was broken initially?

IMO, this seems like an easy case of argument from ignorance (or rather the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence).

I've got longer explanations on using item IDs in the past explaining why its not 100%. The TLDR is that for itemIDs that are likely wrong will have either deleted or out-of-era items next to them. In addition, an item being in the database doesn't mean it was actually dropping in game. In this case, the nearby item IDs (guard captain's mallet, nathsar bracer, finely woven mantle, cloak of imperception) all seem to suggest this going in with a bunch of other items known to exist in that time period.

Consider that royals raids weren't exactly a daily thing, generally required 3+ groups, and the library w/ Lorekeeper had to be the absolute worst place to wait out 2-hour spawns. Extremely rare drop from a rare spawn in an area where very few folk ventured. Said rare drop still exists on live. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12318 talks about them dropping in 2015.

Your one quote about getting 3/41 (7%) spawns of Grand Lorekeeper.
Assuming his figures are accurate and that magelos droprate (2/34 or 5.8%) are samples not far from the actual figures: you'd be looking at an individual pH chance having a 0.4% chance of dropping Spirit Wracked Cords. An average of ~1/250 spawns or 5000 minutes of camping (assuming the pHs are instantly dying).

Scenarios
1) Spirit Wracked Cords have been in the game from Oct 11 2001 onward (or lets say March of 2015 based on the most recent allakhazam comment from live).
2) Spirit Wracked Cords were intentionally added (but undocumented via patch notes) sometime after Chardok 2.0 Revamp, but before the first reported instance of them dropping in October 2002.

Scenario #1 seems a lot more likely to me. Frankly, I feel that Kino dropping the cords was probably a mistake that never got corrected.