View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now after researching a bunch more, I’m starting to feel like I don’t want anything with a cvt transmission. Looks like it’s more or less expected for them to fail at or around 150-200k. I don’t like the idea of having to drop 5kish a few years down the road.

With that said I am keeping an open mind and am
test driving the 2020 Legacy,Accord and Camry tomorrow.
Are you some sort of traveling sales rep or someone else who does an unusually large amount of driving? In normal use you're not making 200K in a "few years." Most folks rack up about 10-15K a year or so, with the length of work commute being the major variable. Hence if you're buying a new car with the expectation of using it for 200-250K then you may well be expecting to be driving it into the 2040's. That's a long time, longer than I've ever owned a car at least. If that's your timeframe, then in addition to the considerations above you want to look at things like the durability of the seats, interior materials, buttons, etc--all the little things that can be expected to start to wear out over time. Nobody wants to be driving a 180K car with a perfect engine but ratty interior with torn seats and falling headliner.

What kind of use are you subjecting the car to? If you ARE that traveling rep doing a lot of cross country freeway driving then 250K with normal maintenance is common enough. On the other hand a normal family car contending with children, stop-and-start suburban or city driving, brine salt in winter, and the general mishaps of daily living are doing good if they make it to 150K before being ready to be sent to the ferro-knacker.

You suggested you have children. If so--How old are they? It's hugely likely that even if YOU don't trash your car, one of THEM will once they're old enough to drive. When I was a teenager I utterly thrashed my dad's car before getting my own, and so did all my friends drive their own no less hard. Going airborne at 80 MPH, banging over railroad tracks at full speed, frequent full-throttle starts or hard stops, teenagers are as a class not known for prudent road behavior. Dad's car was left with failing suspension, a cracked leaking oil pan, out-of-camber tires, and crabby transmission before I completely wrecked it in a rollover when I was 18. It was four years old. He always bought new--he hadn't bought a used car since the 1940's, but in that case it did him no good because of factors (namely me) outside himself.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 03-12-2020 at 12:07 PM..