View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does anyone know where this server went wrong (supposing it was trying to emulate classic Everquest) and why? I have tried to seek answers from the staff, but can come by nothing from them.
"Went wrong" might be a bit too strong for a 100% free all-volunteer run server.

The staff are human, and there are precious few of them. This isn't surprising: to be a staff member you have to love Project 1999 so much that you are willing to never play on it (as a player) ever again. Very few people, who love P99 enough to want to become staff in the first place, are willing to make that sacrifice.

On top of that, because of the lack of tangible benefits, (sadly) many staff members in the past have abused their position to sell favors in one form or another. When they get caught they are of course kicked out, leaving the project with even fewer staff members.

So, in light of all of the above, it's a bit ... naive(?) to expect the same level of customer service that Verant offered back when 1k+ customers (per server) were giving them $9.99 a month to pay GMs (and, in a way, to pay for guides, since those guides had to be supervised by paid GMs).

Hope that helps answer your "why?" If P99 could magically hire a full GM/guide team, like Verant had on live, they could probably handle CSR policies that require more time investment (eg. if you want to force people to share a camp, that takes more time/babysitting than just saying "Bob has the camp").

P.S. Plus I'm not entirely certain that camps weren't a thing everywhere. I did read the entire classic GM guidebook (someone linked it here awhile back), but I don't remember it well enough to say for sure whether it was explicit about camps. It might have been one of those gray areas that varied by server (ie. by GM fiat).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 11-07-2018 at 04:20 PM..