View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

As mentioned many times the main limiting factor during most of your life as a Paladin (and all other magic users in EQ) is your mana regeneration rate, not your max mana pool. PvP Paladins point out wisdom because if you run out of mana you're dead.

When I rolled my Paladin I was very much "into" short tanks which is the main reason why I went Dwarf - its also a happy coincidence that its the mix/max option. I often regret not rolling Erudite but it really doesn't matter. My biggest disappointment with Dorf was the horrendously low CHA because you will find yourself calming quite often. I got through it just fine however and there is plenty of CHA gear you can swap in if you want. On a PvE server its arguable that on Paladin your base CHA is more useful than WIS, though I would not throw any points into CHA at roll.

Something that nobody in the thread has mentioned is the importance of DEX as a Paladin. Paladins rely on proccing weapons while leveling all the way on through epic weapon (and you also get the Divine Might spell proc). Paladin DPS is never stellar and procs come in huge such as the stuns from a Sword of the Morning, which do way more for melee damage and spell mitigation than your raw DPS ever could. I rolled my Paladin with 100 base STR/STA/DEX with 5 points into AGI because I really liked the thought of a "statty" toon.

All this talk of "end game Velious raiding" comes with a huge caveat - that you will actually level the Paladin to 60. Even with the removal of the class XP penalties this is a tall task. Paladins are highly group dependent and even with the removal of the huge hybrid penalty you still won't be first choice for a pickup group. Also realize that the point of a rolling a Paladin is not to sit on a "raid" as a tertiary healer. If you really wanted to "raid" (i.e. wait for batphones and faceroll trivialized content) you wouldn't have rolled a Paladin. You will spend way more time on the path to 60 actually playing dungeon content than you will just sitting on your hands not being very "raid useful." Paladin has an incredibly versatile spell set that is specifically suited to group dungeon play and if you have friends who are good at the game you can play with its a ton of fun.

In short, don't regret your roll at all. Half Elf has low WIS but all the other stats are fine. Just keep getting your levels and have fun playing. If you are playing in groups and getting XP your mana bar will rarely be full.

<The A-Team>