View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Negative, it means you attacked the target sooner than anyone else except possibly the person who's acting as tank. Rampage works based on order-of-engage. Other players can overtake the rampage target's aggro but he'll still have rampage; that's how healers get stuck with rampage damage sometimes. Once you have rampage the only way you get rid of it is either clearing off the hatelist entirely (feign/etc) or moving outside its range limit. You're not necessarily second on aggro so much as you're a good shaman who likes to aggressively slow stuff--as it should be.

I agree that Shamans in solo/duo/smallman situations generally want to slow stuff ASAP. I like telling the wife to cast as soon as she's in spell range and as quickly as cooldown permits. If your tank is a Paladin or Shadow Knight or similar high-hate class then that's no issue, but if you're running around with a Warrior or Monk or similar melee who generates less frontloaded threat then the Shaman's probably going to be getting hit.

Danth
Interesting, that is good to know! I just assumed EQ had simpler logic for this, since the hate list already exists. That means they have a separate list for Rampage as well.

I guess I just don't notice that nuance too much, since groups have a small amount of people anyway, and raids are usually much more organized in terms of people ensuring they have their agro together. If a rogue or something gets agro, they are usually dead in two seconds anyway lol.

EDIT: And yes, I do agree with Isoka that if you do have an awesome group composition, a Shaman can be more flexible overall in terms of when they need to start Slowing/Debuffing. I didn't mention the presumption here (my fault), which is many 6+ Dragon groups are anything but awesome group compositions. They tend to be pick up groups with guildies or people in the zone, so it is a bit of a crapshoot for group composition, levels, and overall gear. This means Shamans are usually required to Slow and debuff ASAP, since they are often the only primary healer in the group. Torpor isn't that great of a heal when a mob is unslowed, especially when that mob is dealing 200+ damage per hit. You really need the mob to be slowed for Torpor to consistently out heal the damage. Otherwise, I would need Chloroblast on bar to spot heal while Torpor is still ticking.

If I do get a perfect group in any situation, then most encounters are quite easy anyway, and all racial bonuses basically become pointless.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-30-2020 at 12:06 PM..