Thread: Smart Home
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Hey pals,

Thanks for some of the feedback and thanks for the offer, Masked!

So far, I've hooked most of this shit up. The real pain in the ass started to shine through about 30 minutes in when I realized that now I have to have a separate app for almost every device I was to control. Apple's native Home app sucks and has very little compatibility in general. I definitely think I would benefit from the Samsung Smart-things hub as it's compatible with most of the devices I bought.

From what I've seen so far, Alexa is kind of a pain in the ass but her recognition is pretty good. Basic functionality on its own is kind of lacking though, which is why I think I need to get the Smart Things hub. This will allow you to set routines, control the devices from a distance (e.g. Europe vs the living room), and give some more breadth to the commands. Alexa is good with "Alexa, turn the bedroom lights on to 50%" or "Alexa, turn off all devices". However, the syntax seems unnatural. With a 3rd party hub, I can change things up to me more like, "Alexa, good night" and it would then turn all devices off or whatever.

Also, so far, I would recommend keeping everything on a switch as well (probably best to use smart switches at this point) because you really do start to notice the lag between when you decide to turn the lights on + the time it takes to say "Alexa, turn X on" + the time it actually takes Alexa to turn 'x' on.

And,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This. if you aren't rich enough to afford a smart home tech, u shouldn't be buying it.
I am. By far. I'm doing this myself as a hobby, thus I don't want a tech to just come in and do it for me.