View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is a very different kind of MMO compared to modern games. When it was launched, It was at the dawn between MUD, P&P like D&D and first era of 3D games. It very much retains a lot of 80s classic RPG genre that doesnt get much attention anymore.

If you like CRPGs that are redone and flavoured like the games of old (Baldurs Gate, D&D, etc.) and you like old school mechanics and unforgiving gameplay, EQ still has an edge over modern game design. Games in the 90s were designed as a challenge, not entertainment.

But it isn't only about EQ in general. P1999 has a very special community, very mature in general and very beginner-friendly. Most people played EQ as teenagers and now have kids and all things you got in your 30s. It's a different kind of company than your usual F2P audience. I don't say there's no drama, but there are almost certainly less hormones involved [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EQ is a niche nowadays as most old RPGs are. If you fit into that niche, EQ is gold.
Very good points. It’s interesting that you mentioned the isometric games. I’ve been a D&D fan for many years so those old school games have always appealed to me. Over the past few yrs, I’ve purchased the remastered versions of Baldur’s Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, among others. I’ve played around with some of the modern ones as well like Pillars of Eternity. It’s one of the things that led me here. I ask myself, why are these old games as entertaining to me as any new triple A title, and in a lot of ways, filled with more depth. Even though they don’t have shiny new graphics and voice acting, I was having more fun than a lot of modern games. When I see clips of EQ, it kind of reminds me of The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. (I know it’s a single player game), but the game is dated graphically, but imo it’s the best Elder scrolls game ever. EQ reminds me of that game because that game was a much slower pace than modern games, but there was so much mystery and exploration, it just felt alive to me. That game didn’t hold your hand. It didn’t mark your map (although there was one). The NPC gave you directions, so you had to pay attention, look for landmarks. If you got lost, it often led you on a new adventure that you may have never stumbled upon. That’s the feeling that is missing in most modern games.