View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice work. So, you say these are immune to soothes...is that because they are actually flagged as immune or just because they have some kind of very large resistance? If they are actually flagged as immune, I wonder if that might affect the mechanics.
As another poster mentioned, they are immune by virtue of the spells not working on mobs past a certain level. I was concerned this would cause issues, but based on the actual results I think it is fairly safe to say the game just treats the immunity as a resist and then checks for a crit. It is certainly possible, if not likely, that something else goes on behind the scenes, like maybe the game reports each cast out as a resist, but in reality, behind the scenes some of the non crits are factoring as "immune" successes and then some as resists, and only checking for crits vs the resists. But I'd say it is pretty unlikely for many reasons. Of course I'd never rule it out completely.

A much more plausible shortcoming of my testing (which I do want to do another trial on when I have some time) is if there is a level component to the crit chance -- IE are higher level mobs more likely to crit resist than lower level ones. That would change the conclusions and make the rules less easy to weigh, although it wouldn't invalidate the findings as much as make them more complicated. It would turn the above analysis into more of a "worst case scenario" of when you're lulling high level mobs. My guess is the "level" component is factored in via the resist rate, ie, you get more crit resists on higher level mobs because you get more resists (and thus more chances to crit). But it is entirely plausible there is a double penalty and level increases the crit rate too!
<Azure Guard>

Green
-Curare, Necromancer