Thread: Book Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethalis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fiction: The Terror by Dan Simmons. Its a long one, 900 pages.

"It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition, on HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to locate the Northwest Passage"
Shocked to see anyone mention Simmons here, since I was going to recommend him also ... but I'd recommend Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (two books, one story) instead. I'm both a Literature major and a big science-fiction fan, and those two books are my favorite works of fiction, ever.

At the same time however, I would caution you never to read Simmons' Illium and Olympus. Illium also start out with an amazing story ... but Simmons was clearly still learning to be a writer when he wrote it, as the ending (Olympus) is absolutely atrocious. If he hadn't written my favorite books ever, I would hate Dan Simmons with a fiery passion for writing Olympus: it's that bad.

P.S. The Hyperion books also have a couple of sequels, Endymion and Rise of Endymion. They're good, and it's fun to come back to that same universe again, but they're definitely not as good as the originals (which is usually true of sequels).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-10-2022 at 03:01 PM..