View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

Rangers have a TON of tricks but they really bloom late in the 50’s. It’s also a class with practice and expensive/exclusive gear the performance spectrum varies a lot. I remember the best and worst rangers vividly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. What they lack is a way to interrupt casters (besides procs) and a way to recover hps quickly. Throw in a healer and that duo can conquer almost anything even if less efficient than some combos.

Facetanking works ok with lower level old world mobs especially with a fungi. Casting Call of Flame and Firestrike (and later Calefaction) between swings with a 2h is also one of the better ways to take down casters hoping they don’t land bigger hits than you.

I never had the plat for good gear on the ranger (woodsman to 58) but still soloed to 60. I did a combo of fear kiting animals, short range bow rot (almost melee range) with the tolan’s bracer, and root jousting (turning on/off attack and waiting for the cool down). The last is quite efficient and I found while trying to proc the Swarmcaller I often would end up killing the mob before slow procced. I did a bit of this with an earthshaker too since that weapon can return a very high amount of damage per attack round.

It’s a very high mobility/dynamic hybrid. Less plodding than a SK or definitely a paladin, also higher risk. Being a bit of an underdog is fun as well, just keep at it! You still have tricks in dungeons but have clipped wings compared to outdoors. I’d bring a buddy (any class really) to make it more enjoyable unless you are trying to prove a point or impress sadistic Twitch viewers. It’s gonna take a lot of arrows...
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-13-2021 at 09:21 AM..