Thread: NPC Push
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
From Torven
Quote:
"Our channeling code was very old stock EQEmu code pulled out of the air and was inaccurate. NPCs play by different rules. (old Rashere comments verify this) I went on Live just to see how it's done there and I could not interrupt a level 12 NPC wielding a combine dagger + efreeti standard after 30 minutes of melee and 330 casts. Of course they aren't pushed there, but the hits themselves trigger rolls. That NPC regained concentration 100% and most hits didn't trigger a channeling roll at all. I also tried casting push spells which prevented nothing.

AK logs were used as my primary source as you would expect however. Interrupts were possible but rare and extremely rare at high levels. Some examples:

level 73 ranger NPC
Emmerik Skyfury begins to cast a spell. (150)
Emmerik Skyfury regains concentration and continues casting. (18; 12%)
Emmerik Skyfury's casting is interrupted! (1; 0.6%)

level 70
Cazic Thule begins to cast a spell. (269)
Cazic Thule regains concentration and continues casting. (45; 16.7%)
Cazic Thule's casting is interrupted! (12; 4.5%)

level 67
Auliffe Chaoswind regains concentration and continues casting. (36; 23.3%)
Auliffe Chaoswind's casting is interrupted! (no sign of stun) (2; 1.3%)

level 66
Praesertum Matpa begins to cast a spell. (53)
Praesertum Matpa regains concentration and continues casting. (15; 28%)
(no interrupts)

NPC stun immunity is actually somewhat rare. If you find stun immune NPCs that look like they shouldn't be, you should probably bring those to my attention. I fixed some erroneously flagged NPCs in vexthal yesterday.

Bash can still interrupt stun immune NPCs, btw.

PC channeling is now using code found in a client decompile, so the accuracy on that is rather high. In fact it indicates that the channeling focus AA is so good that it leaves me wondering, but it's such strong evidence that I can't ignore it."

"Regarding NPC cast interrupts and push/displacement: The lull thread in general forum has some of the data I collected on this. TLDR of it is that I found zero evidence for it and plenty against it. A Sony dev stated that NPCs do not use channeling skill. The vast majority of NPC casts never show a 'regained concentration' or interrupt message and simply cast through melee. Dragon punch (3 unit push ability) never interrupting NPCs + monks complaining about no interrupt (dual wield class). NPCs on raids successfully casting all of their CH spells and logs just plain showing NPCs getting spells off through hordes of melee-- particularly stun immune level 66+ raid NPCs with success rates upwards of 99%. Lots of mana draining on ToV raids in these logs.

It makes little sense to me anyway for raid NPCs to not get spells off simply because your enchanters and SKs make pets, your wizards chain cast level 12 DDs, and paladins face the same wall. Some raid boss spells have cast times, and it would trivialize the fight to shut them off. If pushing then only worked on non-raid mobs, then what sense does it make for them to have coded some push threshold of like 4+ units before any sort of check is done? PCs have a location check for casts to prevent them from being bards; NPC AI can simply be coded to stop so they never needed location checking in the first place."
The problem with trying to do internet archeology, at this point, is that some people have figured out how to decompile old clients and get actual data to work with, rather than relying on humanity's hyperbolic memory.

You can find most of the reasoning for this change here: https://www.takproject.net/forums/in...changes.12968/
https://www.takproject.net/forums/in...14-2018.12991/
Last edited by Pringles; 06-02-2021 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: im both cool and gay