View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had a full banded ranger tank my Unrest group no problem

Kept threat off my twinked rogue

Everyone left happy
Our first mains were paladins, PALLIES. No one knew better at the time and we'd played paladinish characters in another game.

But early on, as you know, they were terrible. But still, when we signed on each night there would be an extended group of 20-30 people who would all race to send us tells to get a spot for the group tonight. Makes no sense, right? Why would people want to play with not one of the worst character types but TWO?

Reason was group always did well in loot and exp and (almost) never wiped. I was puller, if something went significantly wrong I would never bring the problem back to the group, I'd find a good /corpseable spot and stay there while the group evaced one way or another. There wouldn't even be much downtime, as my partner would take over pulling and tanking and she was very good. And everyone in that extended group ranged from good to really really good and would handle unexpected events very smoothly. My favorite moments were always when something unexpected happened and the group wouldn't make it through and go "whew!", everyone would do the exact right thing(s) and make it look easy. Pfft, mobs gotta try harder than THAT.

So despite the lack of dps and the exp penalty, the lack of death and therefore constant upward progress always resulted in faster progress over time than that of people who min-maxed groups much more but died every other day.

We had a good ranger friend we played with a lot too. Two pallies and a ranger in a party, my god. But he was really, really good at rangering and we always did really well with him and had a good time. Like Nirgon's case, everyone always left happy we'd had Dulsin in the group.

Point being the difference between the "strongest" and "weakest" character types can be very much minimized or even erased if the person playing the weaker end takes the time to really study their capabilities and experiment with various tactics and just basically push themselves hard to maximize their value as a player through skillful and well thought-out execution.

And again that's why we always focused on who we knew that was good much more than what character type they played when setting up groups.