Thread: Game Mechanics: The Master Stamina Bug Report (2017)
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

@Caiu - p99 devs have much more control over the client and know a lot more than they did back in 2009, so I believe this can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I understand this correctly, so long as your stats read 100 STA in your UI, you will not be slowed / lose other stats (dex / agi) when your yellow bar runs out?

I can't imagine many melee would be under 100 STA even as a non-twink, so even if implemented I don't think this would be as game changing as you envisioned? Seems like it would only prevent you from jumping, or maybe running / swimming away if you choose to run from a fight that isn't going your way.

I couldn't quite tell from post if depleted stamina will make you run slower or not, I didn't see that... would that take effect? This could be slightly game changing in a group dynamic if you need to keep the puller's stamina up so they can keep grabbing pulls without getting beat on.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the mechanic, please help clarify.

I think it was cool some of your other findings like Bind Sight depletes stamina... could indeed have an effect for someone bind sight tracking / screen-sharing AFK.
This is an excellent question and since it was so late last night I had to carry on research in the morning. I've also discovered people call it 'fatigue' so now I'm also looking that up.

I think the 100+ STA is for melee only, for fighting. You still lose STA, and it seems +STA gear was actually quite tough to get so there was a real concern in classic, especially for the smaller races who don't start out with as much stamina as ogres or trolls. When I find old classic stats for people's toons, base STA is very very very often under 100 if they're not ogres or trolls. This is actually VERY important for untwinked lower levels (not max raid-geared nerds), even on p99.

As for whether or not there is still a penalty after getting over 100 STA, I am actually not sure. It's one of those grey areas. I'm inclined to think there WAS some sort of penalty (besides not being able to jump). Some of these comments mention losing AGI and DEX with no mention of base stamina, so I actually think the game would murder your AGI stat to make you run slower once you become fatigued...you just escape a penalty on your weapon delay if you're over 100. This is supported somewhat by this comment:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...98896207920223
Quote:
If fatigue runs out you can't jump and other stats start to go down. If your STA is under 100, you will begin to swing your weapons more slowly. Always important for small race melees to keep it over 100 STA for that reason.
Although it is also contradicted by http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...ksar-Monk-1-55
Quote:
If you have under 100 stamina and this bar runs out (which can happen with heavy weapons, lack of food, being overweight, etc) you will lose other stats and be slowed (ie. Swing your weapon less times per second).
The first comment is much more specific so I wonder if perhaps it's more accurate.

Here is what I think: If you have under 100 STA, you get slowed automatically, as well as lose AGI and DEX. Now AGI determines run speed, so I think if you have 100+ STA, you will no longer be slowed but you WILL get hit in AGI so you run slower, and you will get hit more in battle because damage mitigation just got penalized (which would make sense - if you're tired, you don't dodge as often or as well IRL). The reason there's some confusion about it is because people weren't necessarily checking their inventory windows with the stats while fighting, so they noticed whether or not they have a weapon delay but not necessarily when they lost certain stats. I think perhaps the higher your STA the lesser the penalty on stats, or simply the longer you went without running out of stamina. It's unclear but the answer will likely be found in ogre warriors vs smaller race warriors debates.

Now, also for classic, it was a concern for pullers. You definitely ended up running slower and they also jumped a lot to keep ahead of mobs.

NOW. Regarding swimming and stamina. I just found this: https://www.giantbomb.com/everquest-...ark/3030-7725/
Quote:
New Playable Race: The Iksar, a lizard race that could swim without fatigue and regenerate health and mana faster than other races.
Stamina and running is mentioned in passing here from a 2013 post: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...nerfed.205085/
Quote:
The stamina bar was used for swimming, running (especially overweight iirc), and jumping, but not for disciplines.
Most of these comments really make me think AGI gets docked when you're tired out no matter what.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99