View Single Post
Old 12-24-2020, 07:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was there at the launch of DaoC Pheonix Server. I was surprised to see a lot of EQ players around. It was a lot of grouping in the beginning and small pvp. But now the population has died down pretty drastically.
Dark Age of Camelot was always like that. For some reason that game has always had problems with player retention. Even its commercial version followed the pattern of initial outpouring followed by relatively rapid decline until an expansion opened. I think that pattern may be a result of what that game is: It's good enough to be worth playing, but has just enough faults to keep it from holding people very well. Many of its faults were consequence of its limited production budget. It was well made for what it was and in truth made the most of limited resources, but both the character classes and content felt very "thin" compared even to EQ. I liked DAOC when I tried it, but it couldn't hold me there long term, either. Moreso than anything else it left me wishing it had been constructed with a larger budget.

Danth