View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IF SHE REALLY WANTS TO HELP INSPIRE CHANGE I WOULD APPRECIATE A LITTLE BIT MORE EFFORT AND DISCOURSE THAN PUTTING ON EYELINER AND POSTING PROTESTS TO ELEMENTARY HISTORICAL CORRUPTION IN ORDER TO GET LIKES AND HEART REACTS.
I get what you're saying, but don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. Would it be better if she did more? Sure, but that's true of anyone, and let's be honest here: none of us even know how much she has done outside that picture. The odds are she's a far more active activist than any of us.

But even if she isn't, isn't her eyeliner/hashtag/whatever you want to call it protest still better than not doing anything at all (which 99% of the kids her age are doing)? It doesn't seem to me like attacking someone for doing a little bit gets people to do more; it just scares off anyone from trying and then getting attacked for not doing enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I definitely think children of the privileged should not derail the issue of wealth inequality with other concerns they have (because they don't have to worry about wealth inequality). This is what they have been doing weather they ever own it or not.
I also hear what you're saying, but I don't think anyone gets to decide whose rights are more important, and I don't think rights are mutually exclusive. Making feminist progress does not mean that wealth inequality goes backwards, and it's also not like every person who is interested in feminism would just magically become poverty activists if feminism magically disappeared. Both women and the poor can be advocated for at the same time without one "derailing" the other, and history has shown as much. For instance, both African Americans and women saw huge rights gains during the civil rights movement. Neither derailed the other, and there's an argument to be made that in fact they helped each other.

Or in other words, the fact that the powers that be have traditionally tried to play different minority groups against each other (which 100% is a fact) does not inherently make them enemies of each other (and historically minority groups have found real benefits to allying with one another).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 12-16-2017 at 06:53 PM..