View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

IMO /list is fine conceptually, the problem is having teams of players sharing accounts turning it into a multi-day ordeal. I know people personally who have 5+ people all logging into one char abusing the relog window of time in order to maintain their spot on the list, and i'm sure every single person at the list is doing exactly that. This completely defeats the point of /list. I don't care if technically sharing accounts is allowed, the elder beads list is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on P99 and is completely against the spirit of the game IMO. It's rubbed me in such a wrong way that I've been considering quitting playing because it's just wrong to me that 1) people would do that and 2) the staff sees this and is fine with it. I was around for Velious on blue and it wasn't like this at all, casual players had a real shot at getting beads (it was a very long/brutal camp but it was *possible*) - it's literally not possible now unless you have a team of people you trust to log into a char and hit that AFK button every 15 minutes.

The /list is a failure, and it erodes confidence in Project 1999 as a whole to me - There are so many unclassic changes on this server already but this shit is a step too far for me, personally. It's so god damn depressing seeing everyone crowd into The Hole for months and months, places like KC / Seb being completely deserted (which they weren't on blue in Kunark), due to unclassic ZEM changes but being told that "This is fine" the whole time, and velious finally coming out and having this shitshow happen and again, "this is fine".

It's not fine, this server is missing the entire point of its existence now, and I'm just about ready to give up on it. I love P99, I started playing here in 2013 but started really playing in 2015, so 6 years of almost every day playing here and watching it just devolve into this shit is so depressing. The best experience I ever had was when Green launched, everyone was in it together to get XP (and healthily compete for the limited XP mobs) and to just experience classic. Kunark Release was still okay, lots of excitement and people playing because it was "new" and exciting. Once the Hole came out with its ZEM this server basically died at the upper end. Players who would have probably given up around lvl 52 were able to be carried to 60 by this zones ridiculous double XP and completely ignored all other content (Its absurd to me that no XP groups happen in Seb or KC in-era. I get it, path of least resistance, but thats as "unclassic" as it gets).

The problem has been exacerbated so much now with Velious release and the beads camp showing that the current devs, while I do think they are amazing from a CSR standpoint, have little to no interest in making things *actually* classic, or even in the "Spirit of Classic". I will concede that obviously its a tricky problem, the players have changed, the knowledge of how important stuff is is so much greater now especially with legacy items, but come the hell on, at some point you have to admit this project is, generously heading in the wrong direction and at worst an abject failure.

I'm sorry for the vent / rant, I don't mean to flame anybody, I just really care a lot about this server/game and it pains me greatly to see where it's going.