View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Aviak

At risk of telling you something you already know, you may want to consider rolling as an iksar instead. A lot of necros have leveled up to the 50s/60 with a DE, and then ended up rerolling as an Iksar for the regen that you can't really get another way.

From Sesserdrix's necro guide:
Quote:
Iksar is the ideal min-max race for a necromancer. Iksars have the ability to forage, they have additional AC, but most importantly, they have regeneration. Regeneration as a bonus to a necromancer is difficult to compare to any other racial. It is something that creeps up on you as a necromancer, as you don't really notice it until you're 49+. What is so good about regeneration is that it curbs off your HP loss from your lich spells. These spells reduce your HP and give you a lot of Mana. To curb the HP loss, you use lifetaps to get your health back. But using lifetaps is very low damage for the high mana it costs, resulting in low efficiency. This means that having regeneration allows you to use less mana on lifetaps, and more mana on efficient damage, which results in you killing more enemies in the same amount of time.

Iksars get an experience penalty, but in return for that penalty, you get a power that no other necromancer has, or ever can rival with gear, that makes you kill more stuff. I cannot stress to you enough how big a deal being an Iksar is, and how irreplaceable the regeneration trait is. I played Uteunayr up to level 60 as a Dark Elf, and rolled a second necromancer, Sesserdrix, just because of regeneration. I urge you that if you care about producing the best output you can, that you should go Iksar.

Ultimately, make the choice you will be happiest with. If your subjective value given to recreating your classic character is greater than the value you place on the numerical advantage offered by Iksar, go with your classic character. I just want you, the reader, to make an informed decision so that if you choose to go Non-Iksar, you do it for the right reasons, not because you didn't know that what Iksar offers is a major output advantage.
That said you may be fully aware and want to play DE anyway, because they are after all a way cooler looking race, in which case have fun and welcome!