View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get the gist without clicking the link, I think.

Nothing will stop progress, only delay it. What delayed progress in Europe in the dark ages? Drought causing famine and disease or some such(Im a poor student)? Progress continued in Asia.

You can embrace it or end up as one of those old people who annoyingly have to be shown how to use a cell phone(flip phone, not smart phone) time after time because they refused to remotely try to keep up with technology and are now so far behind they are frightened by it. Imagine living in fear knowing you are a relic. You can't pay your bills, order food, call your family, call for help in an emergency, manage your finances, troubleshoot your damn TV system, make the new "smart" appliances in your home work. Someone else has to help you / do it all for you.

Science fiction is the future of science. People's wildest imagination are where scientists strive to take reality. Light sabers? Maybe not. Space travel? Yea. Article on space.com about some kind of sails that are theorized to get us to 20% the speed of light by using photons from the sun. Pretty damn cool. Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader, get a limb chopped off? No problem, have a new mechanical limb. We may not quite be there, but we are close. Lives are getting longer. With CRISPR there is talk about editing genes in a way that prevents people from aging, like some jellyfish in the Pacific. Immortality is both natural and possible.

Couple that with being behind the times with technology. Imagine being helpless... for hundreds of years... phew.

quote from Men in Black:

Kay:
1500 years ago, everybody "knew" that the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody "knew" that the earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you "knew" that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll "know" tomorrow.

Chips in people? That's the least of my fears. Sign me up, the alternative is far more frightening.

Evolutionary Progress: chopping your dick off and masquerading around as a woman with cyborg implants that don't actually do anything under your skin.

Get on board, or get left behind, breeders!