View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrobob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, you beat me to the fix by 3 years! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I compared our .sf2's in Viena and they are nearly 100% identical.

I noticed you used the AweROMGM.sf2 when you reassigned the samples, while I ended up using the official 1mgm.sf2 that came with E-mu's Soundfont Librarian.

There is one small discrepancy with the sample pianof5 #2 (used in presets 000: Piano 1, 001: Piano 2, and 003: Honky-Tonk). Since the AweROMGM.sf2 was put together manually by splitting the awe32.rom data, the wave split is a bit off and includes a small portion of the pianof5 sample before it (these occur back to back in the awe32.rom dump, so it'd be super easy to mess that up). I don't think it actually affects the presets though, since it clips before then.

Otherwise I am stoked that we can finally hear the music again as it was on the AWE cards! I know some people might not care at all, but there are still plenty of us who do. Now if there was only some way to fix the .xmi triggers in the binaries, it'd be absolutely perfect.

I've heard through the grapevine that Jay Barbeau had his hands on a higher fidelity soundfont which he used to make recordings of the soundtrack back in the day. I wonder if it is still sitting around on a hard disk somewhere...
I started to reverse engineer the main eq exe shortly after I did the sound font, unfortunately I did not get deep into it as I ended up in hospital with gut problems. I never really continued it after that. I may have another go at disassembling it as I really miss the extra music (The other combat tunes, boat music etc) that's missing.

I have a feeling the music lists with the track info is stored elsewhere though, I do seem to remember going though some of them to disable the really load and annoying lightening sound.

I dug the old pentium with the AWE32 out of the loft, didn't connect it up to the internet but the old everquest tutorial still works, I may do a video if I can find my cables to hook it up to the capture card. I don't think there is any audio in the tutorial though as far as I remember.