View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuanahto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some gypsies stole from you.
they sure did!

i was gonna make some comment about how they should get real jobs and stop scamming good zek-loving ogres out of their hard-earned lightstones, but then i got to thinking... who are these gypsies? and what are they doing, exactly?

the gypsies in oasis sold me my see invis spell, as it was not available in oggok. and these lightstone quests are to help the int casters research spells that are not available from the libraries in their cities. the woman at the nk gypsy camp that was kos to me was an enchanter, as one could tell from the enchanted arms serving as her pet. they take our lightstones, and in return they give us literature that is legitimately helpful and expands our knowledge.

maybe more than being freeloading drug addicts serving as a burden to upstanding citizens like you and i, they are displaced academics on a quest for knowledge and sincere meaning. seekers of truth and enlightenment, looking beyond the borders of the institutions where they learned their various crafts.

the dark elf gypsies in sro have a smith, an artist of fine pottery, and a pottery merchant. artist passia is the artist, and doing a quick search of the wiki she appears to be the only named artist in the entirety of norrath. there is art everywhere in the world but a surprising lack of artists you can actually meet in the game. it makes sense that there would be artists living at the gypsie camps. inspiration for the truly avant-garde would be plentiful, living a simple life among the sand giants, undead, and literal insane druids.

i hate to imagine a world without artists.

we may scoff at their unconventional way of life, assured in our superiority as established members of basically functional societies. and it may wound us deeply when our trust is betrayed, as our lightstones are taken from us with no reward given in return. but maybe we should remember that it is not an easy life being a gyspy. in the karanas is rains almost constantly and there are dangerous creatures wandering about always. maybe they need the lightstones more than we need platinum.

what do you think they do with the lightstones, anyway? why do they need so many of them?