View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A ranger is a tank that has the snap agro of a knight, and the damage somewhere not too far below a monk with gear being equal. (Obviously it's easier for a monk to get gear that dramatically increases their damage than a ranger, such as the monk epic).

In appropriate gear, this makes them ideal tanks for content up to and including Seb. A warrior tank brings damage, agro, and sturdiness, but not snap agro. A knight brings snap agro and studiness, but not damage. A ranger brings snap agro and damage, but not sturdiness. A monk brings damage, middling sturdiness, and middling agro with no snap agro.

Rangers also make ideal leveling tanks 1-50.

Obviously you'll want the mobs to be slowed, and it's easy with rangers to slow right off the bat. It doesn't take a warrior or a knight to survive slowed mobs, and having ranger damage over knight damage over the course of a session is a dramatic increase in efficiency. I've been a ranger tank in many a good group like this on P99.

Just don't go trying to tank raid mobs, especially post-Kunark.
Ya they are fine in group content especially with slowed mobs. But hot is different, I would hate being a cleric healing ranger through those spikes. I've seen semi raid geared warriors get hp chunked in hot /nod.