View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your script for this is much cleaner than my sloppy regx I slapped together for that site lol.

Is there anyway you know of for detecting if the user is logged into the wiki via js?

I imagine if the user was not logged in the button could just be to copy the formatted textarea and a prompt to login, and if they were logged in it could have the name/server field and have the copy & create/edit button.
Yes: in the upper right corner of the page it has your name if you are logged in, so the JS can check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm extremely against this idea.
If this becomes a thing I'll do everything to burn this.

Privacy #1
Slow down and let me explain web tech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Everytime you visit a page, it runs code (Javascript code) for that page, on your computer. If any page does anything (other than just display text and graphics), it needs to have such code. All the wiki features, eg. the era filters, depend on it.

When you click off the Kunark checkbox on a spells page for instance, you want the code to remove the Kunark spells from the page: it needs control of the page to do that. But none of this is a privacy concern because it's all running on your computer. It just does useful stuff in your browser, like hiding Kunark spells or whatever (or in this case not showing you the import UI unless you're logged in).

Now in theory I could use that code to "stalk you on the wiki". There are browser protections, and I'd likely need to partner with Rahvin to make it work, but without going into all the messy details ... yes technically it could be done. Any site can "spy on you" on that site. But it would be a ton of work, for no benefit whatsoever, because literally all we could know is what you did on the wiki.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-26-2020 at 08:50 PM..