View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 06:23 AM
Fire Giant

oh man, wheel of time. that series is like running a marathon. Sometime during the middle books you're going to look inside your soul and say "what the fuck am I doing this to myself for?" but if you can make it through, it's worth it... i think?

A couple years ago I decided to start trying to read more and found myself really getting into series as apposed to single books. Here are a few of my recent favorites.

- Mistborne Trilogy : Just finished these a couple weeks ago. Was pretty enjoyable. Unique magic system, decent story, female lead (if you're into that). Will be checking out more of Sanderson's work shortly.

- The Black Company : I really enjoyed the first three books, which are a stand alone series in themselves. I started reading the next one but kinda burned out and switched to another series. I plan on going back later.

The First Law - would recommend these to anyone who's trying to get back into reading. The plot is enjoyable and not too difficult to follow and the characters are fun.

The Sword of Truth - I read the first book and thought it was ok. Meant to keep reading by the second book was checked out from the library so i moved on. Will check out the others later i suppose.

The Dark Tower - psuedo western setting if you're into that. What I really enjoyed about these is that Stephen King wrote them over the course of his career. First book was in 1982 and the final 2004. So you get to experience his maturing as a writer throughout the series. I think it got a little boring in the middle (pretty much every series does) but was glad I stuck it out.

Hitchhikers Guide - This is a great series, but my advice is to not read it all at once. Douglas Adams is a great writer and the content is pretty hilarious, but after reading 1 or 2 books, it gets a little old and i found myself starting to skim through parts that i knew were comedic fluff. So yeah, read something else in between and you'll appreciate the writing a lot more.

Raven's Shadow series - I really enjoyed the first book. The second was OK, and I haven't bothered with the third yet. Maybe one day i'll go back.

I'm thinking the next series i want to do is the Malazan series. I tried to get into the first book when i was first starting to read, and frankly it was too hard to follow. Now that i'm a more seasoned reader I plan on giving it another shot because it's so highly reviewed.