View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Long ago I did actually get a trojan. The dam thing had a heyday. Thankfully this was in the days before I had 100 or so accounts throughout the net. Some of the accounts were lost for good; some were recovered.

Trying to explain to tech illiterate bank managers was the most daunting. Ultimately I had to just close my account and open a new one elsewhere because they didn't believe something like that could have happened.

So because of all the crap that happened years ago I'm over vigilant about this kind of crap. Maybe I should just switch to Linux but for now I'm sticking with Win10. When I log out I delete the file, reboot, run a virus checker, reboot then go about my usual time. When I feel like playing I reinstall the offending file and log in. Rinse and repeat when I log out again.
Honestly, I switched my in-laws to Linux after they kept getting viruses, and they love it. If all you do is web stuff you'll probably like it too (and EQ works via WINE).

However, really the smart thing to do is just exclude that specific file. You won't lose anti-virus protection over any other file on your computer, and you can trust that Rogean and Nilbog probably didn't put 10 years into this project just so they could act like 14-year old script kiddies and infect some strangers' computers with viruses.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.