View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You admit its harder and yet deny it requires more skill. I'm also confused about your claim that it is poorly designed, as opposed to what? The real life experience of casting spells and fighting monsters? Ive got a solution for you: don't play it.
Which is harder, to cook spaghetti, or compose a violin concerto? Which requires more skill?

Now cut off your hands, and try to cook the spaghetti.

Cooking spaghetti without hands is hard in a different way. That doesn’t mean it requires more skill. It means it requires more endurance for frustration.

But I guess I’m the asshole for wanting to play violin. Some seem to have forgotten that the attitude of “if you don’t like the changes I want, don’t play this game”, is how we ended up with Luclin and PoP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is not suddenly unplayable because target cycling is no longer in game. You can still Tab target the nearest NPC, which is perfectly functional for most situations and classes. Removal of target cycling was mostly just an Enchanter nerf. Most other classes were not majorly impacted. The idea that a disabled person who was playing fine before, but now suddenly can't play at all is nonsense. At the very worst maybe they can't break difficult camps solo as an Enchanter anymore? But neither will many other fully-abled Enchanters for that matter. He can always play another class. Pretty sure a quadraplaegic who controls the mouse with his tongue could play a grouping Mage, for example. P1999 is probably the most handicapped accessible MMO out there due to the abundance of low APM classes.
There’s a Karana of difference between a person living with disability to manage through one or two pulls, and sustaining through 30+ minutes at a time. My friend can barely grip a mouse. He can make a left click, but not with precision. Click targeting for him is a major challenge. He was playing on a mage.

I agree that EQ, with tab targeting, is an extremely accessible MMO. That’s one of the reasons we all played Blue in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Treehorn also changed his comment to include the personal information about his friend... The comment i read only mentioned disabled people in general. Maybe the devs would work out an exemption for your friend... theyre pretty understanding fellows.
I didn’t want to tell his story without permission. It was a really hard emotional thing — there’s not many games he can play so he was really looking forward to green. The reason he was happy for me to include more personal details, is specifically that there are many more people like him who either won’t be able to play, won’t be able to play nearly as much, or for whom playing will be an exercise in painful frustration, because of the removal of tab targeting.

It is what it is.
Last edited by Treehorn; 10-22-2019 at 12:21 PM..