Thread: Discord Overlay
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 05:35 PM
Decaying Skeleton

As the developer of the Discord Overlay that bivouac posted, I can shed a little light onto what is likely happening. The way Discord does its overlay is it watches your graphics card and waits for anything that creates what's called a Graphics Device Context (GDC). This is what DirectX and OpenGL use, and it is what all of your graphics runs through. Kind of like a switch board for the graphics card.

When Discord finds one, it then highjacks the device and the process (app) that made it, and begins intercepting keyboard/mouse inputs and begins drawing to the program's GDC to have its stuff show up. The problem is most likely due to the fact this game is quite old and uses a very old version of DirectX or OpenGL for its graphics. This means Discord may not have support for those versions and is failing to highjack the GDC for the game.

Unfortunately if a game is fullscreen, you cannot show any other windows on top. This is why my program works for the game in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen. If you can survive with windowed mode, then I really hope you enjoy the Discord Overlay program I made. I originally made it for myself while playing D&D games in online virtual table tops (Roll20 and the like) but it's really cool to know it might help people out when playing other kinds of games [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have a new version out (v2.0) that gives you some Quality of Life configuration options.
P.S. Sorry for the long reply :P