View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

You are simply wrong. For example, here is a quote from 'Democracy in America' written by Alexis de Toqueville after a trip to the USA in 1831.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Toqueville
I met with several kinds of associations in America of which I confess I had no previous notion; and I have often admired the extreme skill with which the inhabitants of the United States succeed in proposing a common object for the exertions of a great many men and in inducing them voluntarily to pursue it.

Thus the most democratic country on the face of the earth is that in which men have, in our time, carried to the highest perfection the art of pursuing in common the object of their common desires and have applied this new science to the greatest number of purposes. Is this the result of accident, or is there in reality any necessary connection between the principle of association and that of equality?

As soon as several of the inhabitants of the United States have taken up an opinion or a feeling which they wish to promote in the world, they look out for mutual assistance; and as soon as they have found one another out, they combine. From that moment they are no longer isolated men, but a power seen from afar, whose actions serve for an example and whose language is listened to. The first time I heard in the United States that a hundred thousand men had bound themselves publicly to abstain from spirituous liquors, it appeared to me more like a joke than a serious engagement, and I did not at once perceive why these temperate citizens could not content themselves with drinking water by their own firesides. I at last understood that these hundred thousand Americans, alarmed by the progress of drunkenness around them, had made up their minds to patronize temperance.

They acted in just the same way as a man of high rank who should dress very plainly in order to inspire the humbler orders with a contempt of luxury. It is probable that if these hundred thousand men had lived in France, each of them would singly have memorialized the government to watch the public houses all over the kingdom.
I know this is more than 160 characters and has some big words, but read it. America in 1830 is precisely what you would call Libertarian, and yet the people were tremendously civic minded and constantly forming associations where each citizen would work voluntarily to further the public good. Now we are like his French example: everyone just expects the government to fix everything. Contrary to Marx, Communism is a reversion to baser tribal instincts, not progress to a higher ethical order.