View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So we agree. A trio (or a very bad full group) gives necros time to use the lure dots and hit 70 dps, which is Kunark monk level. In a solid full group, it's touch of night and 60 dps.
Oh jesus christ. Do I have to spell it out for you?? In high level areas with summoned pet is ~50dps (more with shaman/druid str ... and a bit more with mage haste mask summon). A necro focused on nothing but dps and using the *worst* damage/mana ratio nukes (taps ie touch of night at 2 dmg per mana with alteration spec) at level 60 with NO external mana regen buffs (with demi lich 560 mana/min -- 18.66dps) is 68.67 dps. That is a worst case scenario {doesn't exist} where a necro can do nothing but lifetap with DD lifetaps and fall back on pet dps. This is a level 60 necro with *NOT* kunark BIS raid gear (much less velious raid gear), no POTG, no bard ... and literally doing nothing but casting level 59 touch of night as mana permits. This also assumes there is (literally) zero down time where you can get an extra mana tick or 2. It also assumes that there is no feasible opportunity to use a higher dmg/mana ratio nuke/dot/whatever ... just tap. Even the, the necro (casting only those shitty taps) has ample ability to heal any target for 125/tick, which no other raw dps class can do.

This scenario does not exist, and your inexperience playing this class is showing badly (very badly) right now. Necros are one of those hidden gems.

Give that necro the ability to use dots (or the not worst dmg/mana spell line) ... and you start to see the real picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Judging by your signature, you spend most of your EQ time leveling in Kunark dungeons with Coldain level gear.
I've been overseas deployed with the US military for 6 years. Choice? Sure (kinda), but I've got a decade of raiding bleeding edge EQ content under my belt prior to that from Velious through 2011. As far as p99 goes, I won't sacrifice any amount of my real life QOL (quality of life) to batphone anything at 3am to farm crusty content on an emulated server. Does that make logic any less ... logical? It's math man.

Quote:
That's of course your choice, but personally I have always preferred to spend my time doing the more available high level content with low numbers.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Raev

Aftermath? Doing high level content with low numbers?

/chortle

Quote:
I'm not going to leave my Monk AFK in the EC tunnel because of your sense of propriety.
Nobody asked you to. You're just wrong on this topic.

Quote:
Throw in a pair of Wu's Fists of Mastery and the Monk is leaving the Necro in the dust.
I've grouped with a high level monk with 2x Wu's Fists of Mastery. Necro with pet + nukes/taps/dots still beat their total damage done ... oh and I was healing 125/tick and CC'ing while doing all of the above.

Sorry man, but you're just flat_fucking_wrong.

But let's go back to this:

Quote:
Even in Kunark I was usually hitting 70 dps on my Monk at the spore king, with capped strength and haste being the main difference. In Velious that's up to maybe 95, and will be pushing 110 if the 2HB upgrades and triple attack ever go in.
My 58 mage in the highest areas of Seb etc averages about 120dps under realistic conditions (ie there is not always a mob in camp **all the time** not allowing for any between mob meditating). This doesn't factor in the DS on the tank or the rods I drop on clerics, just a max summoned 57 earth pet + my own nukes. I imagine level 60 water pet + nukes will be quite a lot better in this regards.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Your velious raid geared (Abashi Rod) monk, parses 26% less now and will parse 10% lower after chardok patch on old kunark group content. If you can manage to chain pull for that seb king group where there is literally no down time, you might keep up with my mage. If there is competent charming chanter, well ... then we both lose.

Does that make a velious raid geared monk not worth it? Of course not. Hell no. Point is - different classes/archetypes ... different jobs. Monks make excellent pullers, tanks, tank + puller ... especially when they are over-geared for the content. My necro can't do that. My mage can't either. My monk can. That's what makes the monk worthwhile.

Necro are (whether you will admit it or not) a medium high sustained dps class that brings CC, heals, rezzes (emergency) and twitches to the table. Raid geared necros compared to raid geared melee fall behind, but that's a small (really small) portion of the EQ that P99 offers us.

I've leveled (without PL) a bunch of classes to 58+. I parse everything along the way. My mage and my necro put out a LOT more damage than my 59 epic/fungi/tstaff monk ... but they don't replace the job my monk can do.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2