View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

This comes up so often I really need a wiki page for it. For now I'll try to do a TL;DR:
  • P99 has unique considerations (crazed ex-players attacking the servers and such). Because of this, Rogean uses what I call "networking cleverness" to protect it (I'm not in dev ops and so don't know the details of what he actually does).
  • Some lucky players (like you!) have that "cleverness" interact in a bad way with your network (your ISP + your modem in your home + any routers/extenders + your network card + your networking settings). Solution #1 to this problem is to change some piece of all that to resolve the problematic interaction. This is free, but it can be a hassle (although people are willing to help, and I think that's where Argh was going with his post)
  • IF you're on Linux, this problem will affect you more, and that P99 Middleman D program (option #2) might help ... but if you fall into what I was talking about in the previous point, even that program won't (it basically helps people whose network works fine on Windows, but when they switch to Linux things break)
  • If you're not on Linux or P99 Middleman D doesn't help, you either have to debug your network as I said, or go with option #3: a VPN. For $5 a month you can ignore everything else I wrote and P99 will just magically work on whatever operating system you have (plus you can download Bit Torrent without your ISP yelling at you) ... but it costs $5/month

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.