View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice04 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think right now is a very good time for the staff to consider a new F R E S H server. Pantheon is starting to gain momentum in the youtuber world and this is getting people interested again in some of the design elements and tenants that classic era Everquest is built around.

I've seen a lot of comments from people who are interested in Pantheon but never played Everquest expressing interests in trying it out. They either want to disprove or prove certain aspects or features of the game like medding in combat or not having a map.

I dont think a Pre Kunark server would do any good for the above mentioned issues; mostly due to zone congestion in a classic only era server but I do think this is the right time to consider a new server launch.

As with all mmo's when there is a new launch, it attracts people to start over, or start for the first time. It always has a surge in population which is when Everquest is at its best.

Whatever you may feel about Pantheon, its momentum could be capitalized to draw in more players to Project 1999 with a new server.
Over the last ~ 4 months, several classic-like private EQ servers have started (e.g. Legacy of Norrath or EQ Reborn). Both servers are not even close to the population of p1999. Now the p99 community will claim that it is because they are not purist-classic as they have several quality of life additions. This is prolly bullshit as daybreak's TLP servers attract a lot of people and end up with a larger player base than p1999 - and they are even further away from classic than the other private ones.

Begs the question why people prefer to play there.

Could be reliability: although p99 has been solid and standing strong for (i think) close to a decade now, there are also private servers in other games that suddenly took nose dives or were shut down (see WoW private servers) with thousands of people being pissed about losing their progress.

Could also be Krono: offering a chance to get the items they are looking for without investing much play time.

Could also be that the "improved classic" provided by TLP is prefered over real classic.

And finally it could also be that as fun as classic was: classic also had a smaller community back in the days. If I recall correctly, the EQ servers saw the most ppl during far beyond luclin (Peak Population around 2003). So for many former EQ Players, "classic" is not kunark/velious, but whatever Expansion there was when they joined the fun in 2002 or 2003.

So in short: I don't think that a green server would attract a lot of new players. A green server might attract a few former blue players coming back, but overall, the total classic-purist potential is limited.