Thread: Kunark Paladin
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verityn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn, you sure sell the class, Vexenu. I think it really speaks to me. For the last month I was gunning for a rogue until I played one in beta where I felt a little empty inside with just providing dps in a group. When the shit hit the fan in Blackburrow all I could do is run away and zone so I could drag corpses. I've realized that I need to be able to help my group in some way even that's just sacrificing myself as the tank.
If you want to be able to help your group when the SHTF Paladin is probably your best choice. Enchanters and Bards can mez, yeah, and Clerics can heal, but as a Paladin you can root CC, stun Enchanter pet breaks, emergency heal, grab snap agro at will, etc... basically you just feel like you have total control over the mobs in camp. Because you pretty much do.

I'm pretty high on Paladins. One of my favorite experiences on P1999 was leveling a Paladin from scratch on Red several years ago during that server's peak. With the group XP bonus on Red you leveled fairly quickly, so I ended up tanking in Chardok groups wearing mostly Bronze armor (plus DW helm and bracer). But it didn't even matter because the class itself is so strong in its specialized niche of being a group tank. I could completely shut down all the caster mobs, which meant I took very little damage despite my crap gear. With the rest of my group being similarly undergeared, there is simply no way a Warrior or SK could have tanked nearly as effectively. They would have required 2-3x more healing from eating most of the caster nukes. Those are the kind of situations where a Paladin really shines. There will be plenty of opportunities like that on Green.