View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my opinion the alchemy page should be the template for other tradeskills.
I think a discussion about "what's the best way to show tradeskill info?" would be an awesome one to have.

There's a lot of good to be said about how the Alchemy page does things. But in the interest of trying to come up with the best solution possible, here are the things I dislike about the Alchemy page:
  • That "max skill" table feels like a waste of space to me.
  • The "Skill Range" column and the "Approx. Cost" columns in the "Suggested Progression" table both feel like they should be split into two columns.
  • I don't think we need four columns for the cost in the "Production Costs & Effects": I'd be fine with seeing that Blood of Wolf costs 5.52 (or whatever) plat.
  • The headers in that table get screwed up when you sort it (they all sort together, making them meaningless).
    • I think this could start a very interesting discussion. There's pros/cons to giant tables with every recipe that you can sort, and also to having a bunch of different tables, with groups of recipes, separated by headers (and also to what the Alchemy page does, which is sort of a hybrid)
  • I hate that you can't tell what many potions do without checking the Alchemy page (although really that's not a criticism of the page ...)
  • Related to that, I think the "Effect" and "Description" are largely redundant, and really there's no point in even having the Effect (all it is is the name of the ability, and a link that will say "this effect raises these stats" ... but then for the exact amount it raises you need to check the "Description" column ... so what value does "Effect" add? Plus, the effect is already there in another column, when you mouseover the potion itself)
  • I question if the "Components" column should be split into Component #1, #2, and #3 (this would let you sort them, so if you've got a stack of Lucern lying around and are trying to figure out what to make with it, you could sort by that component, which you can't do now ... although you'd still have to sort three columns, because Lucern could be in any of the three)
  • I really wonder if the Trade Supplier Locations table at the bottom should even exist. I feel like it should just be two lists of vendors: the ones that sell medicine bags, and the ones that sell Lucern.

Now to be clear, all of the above is just my 100% subjective opinion. I'm not stating them to declare "I'm right!" ... I'm stating them so people can agree or disagree respectfully, hopefully resulting in a productive conversation about what will be best for everyone (both for Alchemy and tradeskills in general).

And even if you don't feel like reading my giant laundry list, feel free to chime in with general opinions about (say) whether throwing every recipe into a single table, without headers is better (because all the recipes can be sorted), or whether it's better to not have one giant table and instead have tables for each grouping of item.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-08-2019 at 05:58 PM..