View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 08:20 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrichard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I was wondering if you guys could give me a little bit of advice for a project 1999 newbie. I started up a toon this weekend and I am loving it. I have a level 5 necro, but I just wanted to get some input from some people. I wanted to know if it is a lot harder to be evil and if I am better off making a tank or healer so that I can get into some groups.
It's not a lot harder to level as Evil for the most part. Casters have a rough time before like level 10 solo, but quickly become very powerful. Necro especially.

Quote:
I really enjoy the necro, but so far it seems like I can only cast 3 spells before I am OOM. Which is making leveling very difficult, because there is A LOT of downtime between kills. Is it harder when you are broke to play this character? Would I be better off going with a ranger or something out of GFAY? Plus being evil is really annoying, my bags fill so fast because I am trying to save money to buy spells, which btw is a tough task. Then once my bags are filled no one will buy from me, at least in EC. So I am forced to go all the way back to my home spot to sell.
You're probably going after mobs that are a bit too high for you. Not sure why you'd only be able to cast three spells, but if you're draining your entire bar on something you should look for easier prey. I think all pure casters have the benefit of not really needing equipment as long as you have your spells.

At level 5, you should be using your level 4 pet for most of the work. Just make sure to do 51% or more overall damage to whatever you're fighting so your pet doesn't steal exp.

You would probably have a much more difficult time as a non-twinked Ranger, but characters in gfay have the benefit of handing in bone chips for easy levels. Then again, a DE Necro can probably do the bone chip quest in the Freeport tunnels too.

You should prioritize bag slots as soon as possible. I use medicine bags for my new characters and they work great. Kill every decaying skeleton you see and sell bone chip stacks for 5-10pp per.

If you want to make Freeport and EC a more permanent home, work towards killing the orcs there. Shouldn't take too long to get Dubious.

Quote:
This might be just a low level issue, but I wanted to get some insight into character creation. Is it going to be really hard to level and make PP as a necro?
Necros are basically the best soloer in the game so no, you'll be fine! Sell bone chip stacks, spiderling silks, and high quality pelts to other players. Kill decaying skeletons and orc pawns for rusty weapons too. It all adds up.

Quote:
Any advice is always helpful and if you want to group I will be around! Maybe this is just how it is and I have been spoiled by the watered downess of every game made since. EQ is truly a grind and maybe I just forgot how much it really is. Either way I am excited to get some levels under my belt.
EQ's pacing is unlike any modern MMO for sure. Take it easy, fight smart, save every copper and you'll eventually get to a level where you're pretty much unstoppable as a Necro. Don't forget to use Hide when you're meditating!