View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruChaz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I win as a normal human being.
The vast majority of the people in Rants and Flames don't even vaguely qualify as "normal". Don't worry about it. Game itself is fine except for the high levels being dominated by jerkasses, but many of the forum posters set new standards for bitterness and nastiness.

That said, this is classic EQ that you never played. It was this hard and that's one of the reasons we keep coming back to P99 is that it IS the original hard EQ. Most of the people here are on the opposite end of the scale from the people who play the modern MMO RPGs where you literally have to be too stupid to walk and chew gum at the same time to die.

Further, there is very minimal high-level content at this point, and it will stay that way until Kunark comes out. So going real fast just takes you to a place where you have almost no options.

A better strategy is to not worry about leveling speed and worry about doing some interesting, challenging things. Leveling slower means more opportunities to hunt in various locations before you out-level the content.

Right now, easily available is GFay and Crushbone, and the former has plenty of decaying skeletons for chips.

Or you could catch a boat and hit Nektulos, you can level a necro up to the 20s easy just by going Nektulos>Lavastorm>Najena. Dozens of places in the Commonlands too for low levels, dozens and dozens of places for teens- befallen, all the Karanas, Highhold, blackburrow and Everfrost, Kithicor, You go fast, you'll hit maybe a third of them.

I'd rather go at 1/4 speed and hit all those places and awesomely gear out a teens character, then maybe move to half speed and have fun every day kicking ass with my awesomely geared-out teens character.

The other thing I don't get about the rush to level is that a fight at level 15 is almost identical to one at 40. People will be using slightly different tactics due to spells/abilities being a bit different, but the length of the fight and the flow of the fight will be basically identical. More damage is done, but since everyone starts with more health and the healing spells are scaled, if you ONLY watch the health bars of a group and the mob(s) they're fighting, there is absolutely no way to tell whether you're looking at a level 10 or a level 60 fight.

The only thing that makes a difference to me in leveling is that spells and abilities change periodically so you end up using slightly different tactics with each major upgrade and that helps keep things fresh, and same thing with gear- it's nice to change periodically for the sake of change.

But that's not enough to make me rush or ever worry about leveling speed unless I'm managing to actually go backward.