View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

I was always amazed at how rapid the project1999 server came online. I think a big part of it was that they chose to use the Titanium client and to accept that the experience would not be completely classic. I mean, I first learned about all this at the everquest classic website. But it was so slow. Then I learned about project1999. Yes, it wasn't a perfect experience compared to 1999, but it was active and strong. In the end, people didn't want a perfect replication of eq classic. For the most part, project 1999 is a universe apart from eq live and this is what makes it so appealing. It doesn't have to be exactly as it was in 1999 to be distinctive.

BUT I greatly respect the eq classic project. I also agree that if this cannot be done legit then I don't want to be part of it. It's a little late for them to be saying this, but then again, they probably went a long time on pure enthusiasm, without thinking through the ramifications. This was my reason for leaving. I play on eq live instead. I wish there was more widespread support for classic-like servers, but it's just not a popular thing. I know some people can play on project 1999 without hte legal issue crossing their mind, but if you read the license supplied by the client, you'll see that it forbids the client from connecting to a non-official service.

If you're aching for something LIKE eq classic... I still recommend Wurm Online. After I left project 1999, I floated around and tried different MMO's. Eventually, I settled on Wurm Online. It's a sandbox mmo, but it has many features that remind me of how EQ was in the 1999-2002 period. Literally, there're corpse returns and trains and similar mechanics. No in-game map. Other things too. It's a lot more too. Wurm Online has hit me like nothing else ever has. It's hard to explain. It's BETTER than eq classic. Just try it.

The hand holding and safety features in modern MMO's has ruined the fun for a minority of players, including myself. MMO's like this will pop up forever so long as players like myself still exist. There's just nothing else that can compare to being thrust into a dangerous world with only a couple tools and some basic advice. It's about living on the edge. It's about earning every scrap. It's about feeling the pain when you fail. The failures make the success more substantial. The whole world around you becomes more real-ish, almost as though you could really touch it if you were there. All the added weight just pulls you into it.

Somdeay soon I'll revisit Wurm Online. Getting that itch slightly. I'm on Chaos. It realy is a kick *** mmo. I could write several threads on it. I don't lie when I tel you it's something special. I subscribed to it twice. They recently upped sub to $21 for 2 months, but it's still low, if you don't include deed costs.

Of course, nostalgia can only be met by going onto live. I'm enjoying my time so far. I don't know how compelling my argument is, but at least when you play on live, you're not breaking the EULA. And for free you can do quite a bit. The 250 aa cap for f2p is not high, but it allows you a lot of freedom without paying a dime from your pocket. For $5 can you make your account silver and gain access to more things and 1000 aa. Anyway, just thought I'd mention that EQ live still has value for us eq classic old timers.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 07-21-2013 at 03:30 PM..