View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 12:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tried to find proof of as much on the Enchanter forums, but it looks like Wayback doesn't have an archive past 2003 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (https://web.archive.org/web/2019*/ht...es.net/forums/) I strongly suspect this is a big part of the problem: no one can "prove" obvious facts (eg. that classic Enchanters absolutely did think Charisma was important).
I linked some earlier in this thread. I found an old Angelfire Enchanter page. Here....

https://www.angelfire.com/rpg/whitew...ChantGuide.htm

Quote:
Charisma - The second school supports raising CHA as high as possible for two reasons. Firstly, many believe that high CHA has a profound impact on charm durations, stun-locking, fear durations, and mezzing. Nearly all enchanters give credit that it does help, especially in charming scenarios. The second reason is that most Charisma items do not have an armor class raise attached. At higher levels, enchanters start steering toward AC/HP/Mana items, and many INT items carry those stats, especially AC. My research has proven to me that CHA has a profound impact on charming, without a doubt. Mezzing is slightly impacted by it, as my mezzing resists are always lower with high charisma, but only barely lower, so much that I had to cast it 100 times and keep track of the resists to be able to tell. I haven't tested it with stunning and fearing yet... that's next on the list.
Quote:
Also, you need a massive Charisma. I'm talking about 170+. At 182, I'm semi-comfortable with Charm-Solo, and I still prefer Kamikaze-Solo.
Quote:
You first find two mobs to make fight each other. Charming a mob and then looking for something to attack with it is just increasing the chance for the charm to break right in the middle of the fight, which gets you killed. Very often, this is unavoidable, but that's your own risk you must take upon yourself if you so choose. I choose not to. I'm 16th level, just got all my CHA gear on, and have 164 CHA now. Not quite 170, but I'm too anxious to wait--and honestly 164 is a damned good CHA for this level--should be good enough for now.
I was charming regularly with like 130 CHA and zero issues with breaks. Yes, everyone knew CHA mattered. Also Charm seemed to require much higher CHA than P99 to get similar effects.

Quote:
charm to break right in the middle of the fight, which gets you killed. Very often, this is unavoidable
....due to channeling....

I remember dying often to channeling failures and resists and it just doesn't happen much on P99. Even just soloing a mob if root broke I'd be there recasting, recasting, recasting.. interrupted repeatedly and then you die. It was one of those unforgettable rage inducing things about EQ for me. When you "should have won" a fight and a series of bullshit rolls would shit all over you and a blue mob would just fuck you up from something like interrupts.

Anyway, I'm done, will repost soon.
Last edited by azxten; 03-22-2021 at 12:06 PM..