View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 05:07 PM
Sarnak

Default Make Wizarding Great Again

First off I’ll say this is a “not classic” idea so please feel free to roast and flame for my wrong think. I’d also say this is maybe more along the lines of Blue server “custom” content ideation. This gap is really only aimed at leveling in a group setting which is how Everquest was intended to be played, with soloing being a distant second in the mind of the original developers (my opinion based on what I’ve read from the game developers).

Alright caveats aside,

I really love the Wizard class in Everquest but in the classic era they are very gimped in an efficient group setting. At least as far as performing their primary purpose, dealing dmg. Wizards can be great in a group and add a variety of utility (I’ve grouped with great ones) however generally speaking they will not be able to keep up in a high paced experience group where mobs are constantly in camp being killed.

If we look at level 33 as an example a wizard will only regain 130 mana per minute from meditate allowing them approximately one cast of there level 29 inferno shock for up to 250dmg on 135 mana. A rogue on blue of this same level can easily sustain 15dps, if we’re assuming a total of 40 seconds of combat per minute the rogue could do 600 dmg over the same timeframe.

I know many groups will welcome wizards and won’t discriminate (though though many are less open minded) but I personally hate the idea of holding my team back in what is an already difficult and time consuming game.

To help address this my recommendation for custom content would be to add a group only meditate bonus for wizards that would increase the mediate only regen rate by a 5-20% increase per group member. The bonus would not include any other regen such as worn, spell, or song but this would be included on top of the mediate regen. This change would allow the wizard to sustain spell casting more often without changing the dynamic of how much “gas is in the tank” per se. I also don’t believe this approach would significantly change the dynamics of raiding besides possibly giving wizards an extra nuke or two over a long sustained fight.

Just an idea in the arena of thoughts feel free to tell me why this would break the game or is a terrible “not classic” thought. I’m sure there are re-education camps for this type of thing that will help me to stop my wrong thoughts.

*disclaimer - I don’t play Wizard I just appreciate the class and would like for them to be more capable sustained DPS in group settings.