View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzni [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server has a population of 1000+ consistently because it doesn't have anything that comes close to the experience it provides. Releasing the source and database would hurt that, so you won't see that released until the server has died, which isn't even close to happening.

I'm sure some people have access to Roegan and Nilbog, but you should ask yourself why you want to contact them. If you want to badger them on what their future plans are then you've probably found the reason that you have trouble contacting them.

They can't legally accept payment except for hardware and hosting donations from what I understand. They both have real jobs and probably families, and they have been running this for the last 5 years or something. I wouldn't doubt that over the years their interest has ebbed and flowed.

Nilbog's goal was to recreate the glory times of EQ as he sees it. If his goal is accomplished he might be done. He doesn't owe anyone anything, and he has no obligation to release any of the source or database ever.
I sense some defensiveness here. I am not trying to get them to do anything for free or asking any more from them. I was just curious if there was a next step after Velious because I like Project 1999. I'm actually only interested in the PvP server. There are a couple people that would like to make PvP servers but don't have the resources or time to do as good of a job as these devs have.

As for the payments, I was referring to methods that would help with the costs, not donations that would pay a salary.

If they don't plan on going open source and don't plan on doing anything else besides keeping these two servers open the way they are that is fine with me, I was just wondering if they had future goals including open source or new servers.
Last edited by HippoNipple; 06-03-2016 at 02:47 PM..