View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale biologist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It did need to grow tho.

Tax breaks, or "cuts" exist to incentivize economic activity the US government has an interest in promoting.
Marginally. At the point where teachers are making $50,000 a year and my stock portfolio adds more than that in a month, we need need to raise income taxes back to Reagan era levels and consider increasing capital gains taxes on stocks and second (or third) homes. Inequality is destabilizing. Populism and property crime are rising as a result of some of these things, and to some degree, I understand why a poor person without a college degree would not see the point of an honest job as opposed to doing bull shit like mining Bitcoin or stealing catalytic converters. We have gone too far free market. No honest, hard working employed non obese American should be unable to pay their bills for reasonable accommodation, food, etc

I wish I knew how to make that happen. Even giving the government more power to redistribute, or a tax break for essential workers like teachers, librarians, nurses, firemen, paramedics, etc, would be immediately abused. I think money in politics should be banned and political campaigning should be limited to 3 months prior to elections, with primary timelines dramatically reduced. When I decide what state I’m going to retire in (NC, Washington, Montana, Tennessee are the leading contenders), I plan on running for Congress as a moderate Republican. It would be nice if our Congress could even discuss ideas that might work without instantly poisoning the well by causing the other side redneck or communist