View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastedBagel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Granted it was prime time and a newbie zone, but it was so packed I could barely kill a single mob, I had to log off for the night.

People where camping the ENTRANCE to crushbone. Yes, a separate group from orc hill was camping a few spawns at the entrance, not the hill itself which also had a full group. That's how packed it was (CB was also packed to the brink with groups and solo players killing everything in sight.)

I have never seen that in classic (granted its been forever so I may have forgotten.) But I recall there only being a few hundred players usually online at a time not 1,000.

Is it a server restriction thing keeping everyone on one server or?

Does it open up at later levels?

Writing this without coffee excuse any bad writing.
Couple of things. As Black Bellamy noted in his reply, if you joined EQ later on (say, for example, when Luclin was out or something like that), then yes seeing people camping Orc Hill and the entrance to CB would be uncommon. But seeing people doing that on most servers through Velious was very common (not only because they are decent camps in general for lower level players in the area, but because you could sell those belts and pads for plat or use them yourself for bonus EXP). CB itself has always been a very populated zone (even through Luclin) because of those reasons in addition to it being a fun dungeon, very convenient (Kelethin right next to it for banking/vendoring, and all of GFay counts as a city so melees can bind right at CB ZL if they want), and relatively safe (ZL isn't very far from anywhere you are in CB). Keep it in mind that you're discussing probably the most popular lower level dungeon in the game; by contrast, check out the population levels in dungeons like Befallen and Blackburrow...they are empty by comparison.

By the time Kunark hit, many servers ranged from 1,800-2,100 or so players at primetime. Green is well below that to my knowledge.

GFay itself can be a slightly tough newbie zone at times in the sense that if you have a few people running around killing mobs near the various lifts, you have to venture out into the foggy darkness to find more mobs to kill since they're wandering over a large area. Other newbie zones are much more condensed in this regard and therefore a few other newbies being in the area doesn't seem like overcrowded in the sense that there are still a lot of mobs you don't have to run very far to find.