View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 02:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having a mini map is related to the gameplay itself. In eq, your character must develop skills in order to navigate the world (sense heading) and developing your own ability to navigate using /location. You are removing those aspects in order to make the navigating integrated into the UI. The world is designed with using its use in mind. It is not as immersive. You don't even have to keep up with where your groupmates are in some versions of this. Pass

Quest Log: You don't have to keep up with anything, it does it for you. "Fetch me my lost sword, I will mark it on your map, glowing arrow shows the way". Pass.

The multitude of buttons, UI and the gameplay. Having everything laid out means you don't have to make any selections for what you are about to do. No forethought required. They are also tied to the cool down system these kinds of games employ.. "I click this, which sets up this cut, then I follow with this, it sets up this ultimate move".. this is known as a button masher game. Pass.

The UI will tell you how a game like this is going to be. I say its bad, it's bad imo because I don't like the games. It is written on the UI itself. EQ came from CRPG design, WoW came from accessibility to garner more players. Pass.
Ok so I'm going to go under the assumption that you haven't played many videogames outside of EQ in your life. Many RPG's that existed had maps prior to EQ. Including games like Elder Scrolls Arena/Daggerfall, Ultima VII ect. And it's not like EQ had a difficult world to understand. The overland zones were very primitive with only a few props here and there that stood out, but mostly there were all shaped into squares and if you wanted to play it safe you would just wallhug to avoid trouble. Vanguard, much like many MMO's from the 2000's and onwards were a lot more complex and dense than EQ1 rectangle/square patterned zones especially when every zone was filled with over a 30+ quests.

Regarding quest log: Yeah, there was a shit ton of quests in Vanguard. Everquest didn't have much questing, and for the questing that did exist; 90% were shit and useless and only a few actually mattered. I stopped played Vanguard when I was a level 25, but I do recall having completed around 100 or so quests.

Quote:
Having everything laid out means you don't have to make any selections for what you are about to do. No forethought required.
Ok now I know for certain you never played these games and all your assumptions are completely based off ignorance. Endgame for many of these games require you to have at least an understanding of around 10-30 abilities and how you utilize them during a fight can be very crucial. Let's not pretend that EQ1 has very complicated classes, especially the melee ones such as warrriors who have auto-attack and occasionaly kick/bash and taunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What exactly is this image suppose to convey? That a form of entertainment is the equivalent to driving a car? If you're comparing a videogame where the entire point is to entertain yourself to that of driving in real life than perhaps you need a reality check.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 11-23-2019 at 02:35 AM..